mewzak

mewzak

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Take A Picture Brings Back Memories

Take A Picture video

The Making of Take A Picture

In anticipation of Filter's fifth album, Richard Patrick has started posting flashback videos of Filter footage on facebook and myspace. These two videos are very special to me. I've never seen the behind the scenes shots from Take A Picture. This is one of my favorite music videos of all time, not just by Filter.

Watching these really stirred up my emotions suddenly. This is one of the most beautifully shot videos I've ever seen and is also one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard. A lot of hardcore Filter fans diss this song because of it's seemingly sweeter nature, but I love it. It's a perfect example of the diversity of Filter's music.

This "pop" song along with the harsh alternative "Hey Man, Nice Shot" are the highest hits on the charts for Filter. I think that combination just illustrates the light and dark sides of Richard Patrick.

Anyway, the reason I got emotional over this song and video recently is because it comes off not only my favorite Filter record, but one of my favorite records of all time, Title of Record. This album pretty much defined my senior year of high school in my personal world. The combination of softer tunes like this, against the thumping industrial tracks, along with the deep emotion in the lyrics, really made a mark on me.

As with most music that makes an impact on us, we associate certain memories with that music. I think anyone's senior year of high school is pretty significant, and it's odd that this is resurfacing for me now when my 10-year high school reunion is coming up later this year. Life does have a cycle and moments like this really make you feel that.

I have fond memories of excitement over this video playing on MTV or VHI back in the day. For those of you who think I just recently became such a hardcore Filter fan, this is really the start of it, in 1999 with this record. And for a bonus comment here, I'd like to say that in my humble opinion, this was also Richard Patrick's hottest era. ;) This video is responsible for me developing a crush.

No comments:

Post a Comment