mewzak

mewzak

Friday, October 8, 2010

2009 Flashback: U2 Concert, Bono said Fredericksburg

I was reminiscing about one of my all-time favorite bands, U2. I finally got the amazing experience of seeing them in concert right around this time last year. I remembered I wrote a funny little story of my concert experience, so I thought I'd do a little flashback here and share it on my blog! Enjoy!



U2 Concert: Bono said Fredericksburg (October 2, 2009)


Yes, Stacey and I went to see U2 play in Charlottesville and Bono knew we were there haha. There was this whole spaceship theme b/c of their outrageously cool stage setup that resembled a spaceship or UFO. And maybe 3rd song into the show Bono was saying how they built the spaceship to travel to many different places and randomly said "VRE Fredericksburg." Stacey and I "Woo"ed like maniacs and surrounding concertgoers probably thought we were nuts haha. And then I had my own personal second "Woo" moment when Bono was talking about the band members. Since we were at UVA he was saying what they were in college, and how if they hadn't started U2 The Edge would still be in a lab, Larry (the drummer) was a jock, and Adam the bass player was apparently a ladies' man and Bono said the reason Adam said he played bass is b/c "girls love bass." And I squealed haha and Stacey laughed at me. Oh yeah, and Bono was a college dropout hehe.



So more details...first of all we only saw the last song Muse played haha but I heard the 3 songs that I knew from outside the stadium during our 2-mile hike from the cash parking lot haha. I was glad we didn't have any trouble getting parking though. Our seats were almost at the top of the stadium so seeing the band up close was not an option ha, but I expected that b/c we got the cheaper price range of tickets. And the 360 stage was awesome and made up for it. We could see everything on the circular screen that was in the middle of the spaceship-like thing. Stacey will give me her pics later so you can see this crazy thing. And they also had a circle shaped catwalk around the stage so they could go around closer to the audience. If I could have afforded the tickets for down there I'm sure that would have been awesome. Plus it was kind of nice b/c there still open seats where we were so we had plenty of room to lounge instead of being packed in like sardines. Oh yeah and a moth flew up my pants haha. Stacey thought I was imagining it b/c I thought something was crawling up my leg but then it would stop. Then it got above my knee and I was like ok, something is in my pants seriously! So I rolled up my pants leg and a moth flew out. Just another highlight of the night haha.


The only songs they didn't play that I would have liked to hear were "Desire" and "Pride In the Name of Love." They played all the other great ones and some new ones. I have to say they did a good job of mixing up the songs to cover some from all their eras. I was pleased. "Where the Streets Have No Name" hit a heart string with me for some reason. But Bono also led into that song with "Amazing Grace" so I think that build up and then going into that awesome guitar anthem of "Streets" just hit me. And then of course, "With or Without You." I was in the zone during that one haha. And he had this crazy mic during that song that looking like a steering wheel with a mic in the center and it had rope lights going around it and it was hanging from the ceiling. He even held onto it once and spun around in the air. And during that one he also had lights hooked up to his leather jacket. That stage screen was really cool for visual effects too. For most of the show it was just at the top in the middle above them showing them up close and random effects like a normal concert. But then it expanded down and enclosed the stage and it was projecting them from inside onto the screen with added effects. It's hard to describe but it was really cool. And the frame of the stage was 4 huge legs that looked like an alien creature's legs or something and on top was a rocket-looking thing that had lights and stuff all over it too. That also changed along with the other visual effects. The stage also rotated where they were so they faced every angle of the crowd at different points. It was definitely the most innovative stage setup I've ever seen.


And Stacey made me laugh b/c at one point she said, "I don't think I realized how crazy Bono really is." Everyone knows his lovey-dovey persona and his reputation for trying to change the world, but witnessing it first hand it was kind of funny. They had some revolutionary moments incorporated into the video excerpts inbetween songs and one song they did a whole feature on this woman in Burma who's been on house arrest so she won't get elected into some political position. (Sorry I forgot her name and all the details Bono). I don't have a problem with all of that, I know some people get annoyed by that stuff. I personally found Bono's hippy ramblings entertaining. I mean he sounded like he was tripping on something the whole time haha. Tripping on love I guess. But I have personally always thought of Bono as someone I'd like to give a big hug if I ever met him ha. He just seems like such a good soul. And I've always loved his lyrics, obviously from posting them on my status all week. What was funny is before they even started we were looking at that crazy stage and I said it looked like a spaceship or rocket or something (we didn't know the theme beforehand). And I was like, ya know, Bono could be an alien. So Stacey and I have decided that Bono might well be an alien haha, and after witnessing him in person it only confirmed that theory even more.


I think that's all I have to say. If I had to describe experiencing U2 in concert in one word it would be SURREAL. That's how I felt from start to finish of their performance. Between the sound of their music and all the visual stimulation, it felt like I was tripping with Bono on all that lovey-dovieness too haha. I was right there with him. Oh and one more point, Bono is the frontman so he gets the most attention but I love U2 for the whole band. Adam Clayton has made some of my favorite bass lines EVER, The Edge's guitarness just speaks for itself, and you can ask Stacey about my steering wheel drumming along with Larry on my CDs in the car when we were waiting in line to get into the show haha. I really love this band and sharing an evening with them was a thrilling lifetime experience for me. I LOVE U2!

No comments:

Post a Comment